Tres Leches Cake - Three milk Cake

>> Thursday, February 24, 2011

Yesterday being our 3rd wedding anniversary, I decide to make the Tres Leches cake which my hubby has been asking me to make at home for a very long time. The cake turned out really great and my husband is enjoying it a lot.. :) Along with this I also made some rasmalai and gulab jamuns, which are his favorite sweets. They turned out perfect and more than my hubby my son is enjoying it.. :) Of course I am enjoying watching them eat it.. :D Here are few pics of the rasmalai and gulab jamuns I made for them.
                                           Rasmalai                                            Gulab jamuns


Coming to the cake, its a simple sponge cake that gets soaked in three kind of milks, namely condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream. In Spanish Tres Leches means 'Three milk'. This is a very popular cake in Mexico and Latin America. There are also of variations to this cake like few soak it in coconut milk, while others soak it in rum/brandy. Whatever may be the variation, the base cake remains the same simple sponge cake. The cake is usually served with heavy cream frosting and topped with fresh fruits of our choice.
I got this recipe from The Pioneer Woman website, which is a great website loaded with many yummy cakes and other recipes. I followed here recipe exactly and the result was a soft, spongy, melt in mouth kind of cake. I also shared the cake with few of my friends and they too enjoyed it.
Things needed

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1-½ teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Salt
5 whole Eggs
1 cup Sugar, Divided
1 teaspoon Vanilla
⅓ cups Milk
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 can Sweetened, Condensed Milk
¼ cups Heavy Cream

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease the baking pan and set aside.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Separate eggs.

Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high speed until yolks are pale yellow. Stir in milk and vanilla. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir very gently until combined.

Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks are formed. With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.

Fold egg white mixture into the batter very gently until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for around 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Turn cake out onto a rimmed platter and allow to cool.

Meanwhile combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream in a measuring cup. When cake is cool, pierce the surface with a fork several times. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture evenly over the cake. Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for 30 minutes.
Refrigerated the cake and serve chilled. If desired the cake can be topped with heavy cream frosting. I topped my cake with heavy cream frosting and some chopped fresh strawberries.
Yummy, soft, moist cake is ready to be enjoyed. It was so good that we couldn't stop eating it.

3 comments:

Unknown February 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM  

First of all, congrats dear on your anniversary. The cake looks absolutely prefect for the occassion. I have had it but never prepared. Looks awesome. I will save it for later :)

aipi February 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM  

Many many happy returns of the day to u n your hubby dear..
The cake looks superb, decadent and scrumptious..my hubby's fav :)

US Masala

Unknown March 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM  

Belated anniversary wishes to u both..perfect cake to celebrate the day!! Awesome!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About me

Sangi
San diego, California, United States
View my complete profile

Back to TOP