Urulaikilangu Yennai bathai/ Potato Fry

>> Monday, August 16, 2010

This is one of my hubby's favorite vegetarian side dish. He likes it with his vendakkai sambar. Sounds a perfect combo right.. It's my MIL's recipe and I don't make this often, as it needs to be cooked with really a huge amount of oil to get that yummy taste. The name itself says 'urulaikilangu yennai bathi' meaning potato slices soaked in oil. Hope you get the taste of the yummy, spicy potato slice fried in oil just from its name.. :)

These potato slices, though fried in oil, won't have that crunchiness. They got to be pressure cooked, before frying in oil. Hence they tend to be softer even after frying  in oil.
Things needed
Potato - 2 nos. medium sized
Red chilly powder - 1 Tbsp
Coriander cumin powder - 1/2 Tbsp
Tumeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
Tamarind paste - 1/2 Tbsp
Salt - To taste
Oil - For shallow frying
Cut the potatoes into round slices of 1/2 inch thick. Mix all the above ingredients except oil and make it into a paste. Water from tamarind pulp is sufficient to make a thick paste. Add the potato slices to the mixture and coat them with the masala paste. Pressure cook the potato slices for 2 whistles. Potatoes should just be half cooked.
Heat oil in a pan, add 5 to 8 potato slices at a time and fry them individually, until golden brown. Serve hot with sambar rice, rasam or curd rice. They could also be a simple and delicious starter by themselves. By the time I finish cooking all the potatoes, my hubby will finish off snacking those hot potato slices. I would be just left with the last batch.. :D This goes to Suma's Side dishes from India event

4 comments:

Unknown August 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Wow, that is a very new recipe of potato fry. Have to try it out. Looks very tempting :)

Satya August 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

i love this potato fry ...my mummy used to make this for me ...i totally forget about thsi dish ...thanks for sharing ...ur potato fry looks so perfect n mouthwatering

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Priya Suresh August 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM  

Makes me hungry, my favourite fry..

Suma Gandlur September 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Very novel to me but I bet the dish to be very delicious. Is any water added while pressure cooking the potatoes?
Thanks for sending this over.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About me

Sangi
San diego, California, United States
View my complete profile

Back to TOP